TideRider Adventures offer experiential summer camps for kids, aged 9 to 14, that incorporate fun, education, self-awareness, skill development, and meaningful connections to nature.
Your child will:
- Learn to stand-up paddle(SUP) or improve paddling skills – obtain Paddle Canada certification
- Spend a day learning to sail, watching seals and other sea life, and taking water samples aboard Providence, an 83’ working sailing ship
- Explore and learn about the ecology of the shoreline and ocean with our marine biologist
- Have lots of time to play on the water and at the beach each day
- Explore and learn about the ecology of the shoreline and ocean
- Spend time on the water and at the beach each day
- Make several reusable household items to replace single-use plastic ones
- Develop communication and leadership skills and a love for our ocean – become an Ocean Ambassador!
Programs have ratios of 1 instructor to 6 participants, and are based at Hollyburn Sailing Club at Ambleside Beach in West Vancouver or at Kitsilano Yacht Club in Vancouver.
What people are saying about Ocean Camps:
“This was the best day ever! The paddleboarding and jumping in was the best. I’m going to tell my family we should use less single-use plastics.”
Grade 7 Student
The sign of a truly impactful learning experience is when students continue to discuss, and take action afterwards. In the past three months since our visit with Ocean Ambassadors, our learners have created prototypes in the Maker lab to share their ideas about how to decrease the presence of micro plastics and connected their learning about evolution and endangerment to ocean ecosystems. The Ocean Ambassador’s well-balanced approach was hands-on, and offered a unique experience of connecting a sense of place through paddling. They demonstrated why we need to care, showed us first-hand how plastics are polluting our waterways and provided concrete ways to share our knowledge with others. This was a field trip that enabled students to engage in the world and feel empowered to share in the action of making a difference.
Grades 6/7 Teacher
“Our students have become ambassadors and are leading workshops for the younger kids at our school. The kids loved the paddle boarding! We had eight classes go through the program and each class had a very different and amazing experience. The Ocean Ambassadors crew were positive, engaging and made the kids feel very important. The kids wanted to learn – they knew that this was important.”
Alison Dixon and Rachel Grudman
“The Ocean Ambassadors program provided an enriching, fun, placed-based educational experience for our grade seven class. The staff engaged our students while educating them about different stewardship practices. The students loved paddle boarding, despite the fact that it was a torrential downpour, they learned that it doesn’t have to be summer for us to play in the ocean! This is a field trip we will do again in the future.”
Amanda Botteselle and Amy Wright